An advanced level course for wine and spirit enthusiasts and for professionals working in the drinks and hospitality trades.
WHAT THE COURSE IS ABOUT
This internationally recognised qualification provides a deep and detailed understanding of grape growing and winemaking carried out in the different regions of the world. Tasting skills are further developed and upon completion of the course you will be able to confidently explain different wine styles and quality.
This is a rigorous course requiring intense preparation and study. This qualification has a minimum requirement of 54 hours of self-study time in addition to 30 hours of classroom tuition.
The course is open to those that hold the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines or to those that can demonstrate the equivalent level of knowledge.
The course is given over a series of 15 sessions presented by a certified WSET wine educator. Each session is 2 hours and 30 minutes long.
- SPRING SESSIONS
Monday and Tuesday evenings
MAY: 3, 10, 16 and 17, 23 and 24, 30 and 31
JUNE: 7, 13 and 14
Exam: 16th of June 2022
Address: Grev Turegatan 45, 114 38 Stockholm
Course tutor: Sarah Jefford, WSET Certified Educator and Diploma graduate.
Price: SEK 18’000 (Excl. VAT)
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing (viticulture), winemaking, maturation and bottling
- The key characteristics of the principal still, sparkling and fortified wines of the word
- How to taste wine using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- How to make appropriate wine recommendations
WHAT THE SESSIONS ARE LIKE
- Small groups of maximum 14 students
- During the course there will be a tutored tasting of approximately 60 wines
WHAT THE COURSE FEE INCLUDES
- A study pack with a WSET Systematic approach to tasting wine card, a level 3 wine study guide (112 pages), a wine course book (200 pages), a specification booklet, exam fees, postage of the study pack, a certificate and pin (for successful candidates)
- Taught sessions
- Wine samples
WHAT THE COURSE DOES NOT INCLUDE
A protective shoulder-bag containing a set of six high quality 35 cl Riedel Ouverture Red glasses can be purchased from Nordic Wine Tastings at the discounted price of SEK 799. These can be picked up from Nordic Wine Tastings.
- In addition to the 30 hours of tuition, students are expected to dedicate 60 hours of self-study. Students might like to get together with other students, either online or in person, to prepare together towards this qualification, share the costs of wine samples and taste together.
- Knowledge will be assessed through a 2 part exam. Part one is a 50 multiple-choice-question paper and a 4 short written answer paper. Part two is a blind tasting of two wines. Successful completion of the exam leads to the internationally recognised WSET Level 3 Award in Wines certificate. Exams are marked in London and Nordic Wine Tastings receives the results within 10-12 weeks. Should you fail the exam you have the possibility of resitting it without retaking the whole course. Furthermore, you only need to retake the part you failed, i.e. the theory or the tasting.
- Course induction and tasting technique
- Natural factors and human influences in the vineyard
- Human influences in the winery
- White wines of Germany, Alsace, Austria and Tokaj
- White wines of Burgundy, Loire and Bordeaux
- Red and rosé wines of Bordeaux, South West France and the Loire Valley
- Red wines of Burgundy, Beaujolais, and the red and white wines of the northern Rhône Valley
- Red, white and rosé wines of southern Rhône and southern France. Red wines of Spain Part 1 and white wines of Spain and Portugal
- Red wines of Northern Spain and red and white wines of Northern Italy
- Red and white wines of central and southern Italy, red wines of Portugal and red and white wines of Greece. Feedback tasting of 2 wines
- Premium red wines of New Zealand, USA and Australia
- Premium white wines of New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, USA and Canada
- Regional specialities of Australia, South Africa and USA. Premium red and white wines of Argentina and Chile
- Sparkling Wines
- Fortified Wines
The course is given in English. The course educator is Sarah Jefford.