An advanced level course for wine and spirit enthusiasts and for professionals working in the drinks and hospitality trades.
WHAT THE COURSE IS ABOUT
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines will take you a step deeper into your knowledge of wine. The course is open to those that hold the WSET level 2 Award in Wines or to those that have the equivalent level of knowledge. It will give you a thorough understanding of the factors that influence the style, quality and price of the main still, sparkling and fortified wines of the world.
The course is given over a series of 15 live digital sessions on Zoom presented by a certified WSET wine educator. Each session is 2 hours long and you will have a similar experience to an actual classroom lesson. For the summer intensive course, the days comprise of 2 sessions.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing (viticulture), winemaking, maturation and bottling
- The key characteristics of the principal still, sparkling and fortified wines of the word
- How to taste wine using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- How to make appropriate wine recommendations
WHAT THE SESSIONS ARE LIKE
- The intake of students is kept small in order to ensure optimal learning and one-on-one interaction
- The sessions are recorded and are made available to students should they not be able to attend one of the live sessions
- During the course there will be a tutored tasting of 38 wines (a wine list will be sent to you upon registration)
WHAT THE COURSE FEE INCLUDES
- A study pack with a WSET Systematic approach to tasting wine card, a level 3 wine study guide (112 pages), a wine course book (200 pages), a specification booklet, exam fees, postage of the study pack, a certificate and pin (for successful candidates)
- Live zoom tuition sessions, correction of homework
WHAT THE COURSE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Wine samples
A list of 38 wines will be sent to you prior to the beginning of the course. The cost for the wines is approximately SEK 7000. For this specially adapted digital classroom course via Zoom, Nordic Wine Tastings in cooperation with WSET Head Office in London has developed a wine list which gives the possibility to taste a sufficiently wide range of styles and quality of wines that is required to successfully pass this course. The wines are available from Systembolaget and care has been taken to select wines that come in half-bottles whenever possible. The 38 wines have been chosen to ensure that students have tasted a sufficient breadth of styles and wine quality.
A protective shoulder-bag containing a set of six high quality 35 cl Riedel Ouverture Red glasses can be purchased from Nordic Wine Tastings at the discounted price of SEK 799. These can be picked up from Nordic Wine Tastings or sent by post (postage cost not included in the price of the glasses).
- In addition to the 30 hours of tuition provided through Zoom, students are expected to dedicate 60 hours of self-study. Students might like to get together with other students, either online or in person, to prepare together towards this qualification, share the costs of wine samples and taste together. Should they wish to taste more wines than those recommended on the school’s list, they can find a list of further wines to try in the specification booklet or online.
- Knowledge will be assessed through a 2 part exam. Part one is a 50 multiple-choice-question paper and a 4 short written answer paper. Part two is a blind tasting of two wines. Successful completion of the exam leads to the internationally recognised WSET Level 3 Award in Wines certificate. Exams are marked in London and Nordic Wine Tastings receives the results within 10-12 weeks. Should you fail the exam you have the possibility of resitting it without retaking the whole course. Furthermore, you only need to retake the part you failed, i.e. the theory or the tasting.
- Course induction and tasting technique
- Natural factors and human influences in the vineyard
- Human influences in the winery
- White wines of Germany, Alsace, Austria and Tokaj
- White wines of Burgundy, Loire and Bordeaux
- Red and rosé wines of Bordeaux, South West France and the Loire Valley
- Red wines of Burgundy, Beaujolais, and the red and white wines of the northern Rhône Valley
- Red, white and rosé wines of southern Rhône and southern France. Red wines of Spain Part 1 and white wines of Spain and Portugal
- Red wines of Northern Spain and red and white wines of Northern Italy
- Red and white wines of central and southern Italy, red wines of Portugal and red and white wines of Greece. Feedback tasting of 2 wines
- Premium red wines of New Zealand, USA and Australia
- Premium white wines of New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, USA and Canada
- Regional specialities of Australia, South Africa and USA. Premium red and white wines of Argentina and Chile
- Sparkling Wines
- Fortified Wines
The course is given in English. The course educator is Sarah Jefford.