A beginner to intermediate level course for wine enthusiasts and for those entering or working within the wine and hospitality trades.
WHAT THE COURSE IS ABOUT
The course offers insight of the main grape varieties, the important wine regions in which they are grown and the different styles of wine produced. Tasting skills are developed throughout the course with the sampling of thirty-five different wines.
The course is for those with little or no prior wine knowledge.
The course is given over 8 live digital sessions on Zoom presented by a certified WSET wine educator. Each session is 2 hours long and you will have a similar experience to an actual classroom lesson. In the case of intensive courses, two sessions are given each day.
ONLINE COURSE DATES
- Option 1: Post Kristi Himmeldag
4 Wednesday mornings 19th and 26th of May, 2nd and 9th of June 2021
Exam: Monday 14th of June 2021 or to be decided upon to suit students
Course tutor: Sarah Jefford, WSET Certified Educator and Diploma graduate.
Price: SEK 8’000 (Incl. VAT)
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How wine is made
- The important wine-producing regions of the world
- The main black and white grape varieties and their characteristics
- The factors influencing wine style
- The production of sparkling, sweet and fortified wines
- Wine labelling terminology
- Food and wine pairing
- Describing wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine
WHAT THE SESSIONS ARE LIKE
- The intake of students is kept small in order to ensure optimal learning and one-on-one interaction
- During the course there will be a tutored tasting of 35 wines (a wine list will be sent to you upon registration)
WHAT THE COURSE FEE INCLUDES
- A wine course study guide, a wine book, the Systematic Approach to Tasting card, exam fees, postage of the course material, a certificate and pin (for successful candidates)
- Live zoom tuition sessions
WHAT THE COURSE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Wine samples
A list of 35 wines will be sent to you prior to the beginning of the course. The cost for the wines is approximately SEK 3500 for full-size bottles. The wines are available from Systembolaget and whenever possible wines have been chosen that also come in half-bottle size.
A protective shoulder-bag containing a set of six high quality 35 cl Riedel Ouverture Red glasses can be purchased from Nordic Wine Tastings at the discounted price of SEK 799. These can be picked up from Nordic Wine Tastings or sent by post (postage cost not included in the price of the glasses).
The exam consists of a 50 multiple-choice-question paper to be completed in 1 hour.
The exam can either be taken physically at Grev Turegatan 45 or remotely online.